Last wednesday was my birthday! I turned 28 enjoying myself in Sonoma county celebrating playing bocce ball and drinking amazing wine. While arbitrary 10 years is a long enough time to warrant some sort of retrospection and I thought I’d share with you the top 10 lessons I’ve learned over the last 10 years.
For those of you who like TL;DR’s here’s the outline of this blog post which should be somewhat long for a blog post (10-15 minutes reading):
- Just cause you have a degree in a subject doesn’t mean you know how to practice the subject.
- Math is a universal language. It also happens to be a rare and valuable skill.
- Working hard pays off if you work on the right thing at the right time.
- Not everybody who works in a lucrative field makes a lot of money.
- There’s no such thing as a secure job.
- Everybody has an amazing skill locked away inside. You just have to look for it.
- Math doesn’t solve every problem.
- Success boils down to having good working relationships.
- Freelancing isn’t free.
- Strive to work with people smarter than you.
- Everything is arbitrary including this list.